Ring in Wellness for the New Year!
If you did not make a New Year’s resolution, it is still not too late. Some people make resolutions on their birthday, but any day will do. Here are some suggested resolutions that will benefit your health.
Try the 80/20 approach
Trying to eat too healthy can set you up for failure. So instead, strive for healthy food choices 80% of the time, which gives you some leeway for the remaining 20% of the time. You can enjoy all foods on a healthy eating plan, but pay attention to how much and how often you select higher-calorie, higher-fat items.
Follow the 150-calorie snack rule
Many wholesome, nutritious snacks fall into the 150-calorie level. Make sure your snack includes at least two food groups. Here are some suggestions:
- 1 cup (C) baby carrots and one sliced bell pepper, served with 2 tablespoons of hummus for 106 calories
- ½ C low-fat cottage cheese with ½ C canned peaches in lite syrup for 150 calories
- Other snack ideas include: ½ ounce of nuts, Lean meats, Low-fat dairy products, Whole grains, Fruits, and Vegetables
Set small goals to stay organized
Make your life easier by setting small goals to stay organized.
Manage time efficiently
Organize your time by ranking items as high, medium, and low priority. Focus first on the high-priority items and then remove any low-priority items from your list, if possible.
Did you know?
Washing your hands is the best way to prevent the spread of bacteria and viruses. Make it a point to wash your hands frequently.
Exercising improves your mood. Aim for 30 minutes of exercise/day.
Quitting smoking is the single most important thing smokers can do to improve their health. Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death. If you smoke, resolve to quit today!
Compliments of RD411 – where healthcare professionals go for information.
Contributed by Shawna Gornick-Ilagan, MS, RD, CWPC, CHES